Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Peter Fraize - Facts + Figures (2016)



Facts + Figures is a new album of all original music for acoustic jazz quartet and quintet. It features compositions written over the past two decades that reflect some of the important events, places and people (facts and figures) in my life. 

Initially conceived as more of a "straight-ahead" piano-anchored quartet record (after 20+ years of recording as a leader, something that I had yet to do…), the focus began to shift during the tune and personnel selection process. I found myself drawn toward compositions that were less conventional in terms of form and structure, such as the 15-beat cycle that underpins much of "The Ides of March" and the 19-bar form of "I to I", and that I would really enjoy hearing this amazing cast of players on. 

Ultimately, I feel that I got the best of both worlds. While the music presented here honors many of the conventions of classic small-group jazz (and above all, it SWINGS), I hope that it does so in its own, unpredictable way. 

My thanks to Jon, Paul, Nathan, Leland and Gantt for their uncompromising artistry in bringing this music to life. 

My deepest love and gratitude always to Jessica, Leo, Owen, and my parents for their endless love, support and inspiration. 


1. The Ides of March 06:53
2. A Step Toward Grace 09:31
3. Euclid House 10:50
4. While He Sleeps 06:11
5. Leo 05:52
6. Freezer Full of Math 06:40
7. Life in the Ozone 08:26
8. I to I 07:28
9. Me, Then You 12:39

Released June 13, 2016 

Peter Fraize- tenor saxophone 
Paul Pieper- guitar (# 1, 3, 6, 9) 
Jon Ozment- piano (except # 3) 
Nathan Kawaller- bass 
Leland Nakamura- drums 

All compositions by Peter Fraize, EZ-arf Music/ASCAP 

Recorded on 2/2 and 3/18 2016 
Recorded and mixed by Gantt Kushner 
at Gizmo Recording Co., Silver Spring, MD 
Produced by Peter Fraize


BUY THIS ALBUM